About Wendy Monaghan
I established Wendy Monaghan Editing Services in 2002. Since then, I have helped dozens of clients, and I can help you too.
Perhaps you are:
I can help you.
Visit my testimonials page to read just some of the feedback I have received from my clients.
IPEd Accredited Editor
I am an IPEd Accredited Editor (AE), which means you can trust me to provide a professional, high-quality service. To achieve accreditation, Australian editors must demonstrate their professional competence and understanding of editing standards, skills and knowledge as assessed by the Institute of Professional Editors Limited (IPEd). There are currently 305 accredited editors in Australia.
I am also a professional member of the
Institute of Professional Editors Limited (IPEd), which means I adhere to IPEd's Code of Ethics. You can be confident that I will treat you and your project in an ethical and professional manner.
I am an experienced mentor with the IPEd National Mentoring Program for Editors, which offers the opportunity for IPEd members to improve their editing skills with professional oversight and feedback from experienced editors. I also mentor editors privately.
Publishing industry experience
I developed an excellent understanding of the publishing industry early in my career with several years of marketing/sales experience in the Australian book publishing industry, including with Penguin Books Australia and Melbourne University Press.
Types of documents
I have edited all of the following types of documents:
I edit material in any discipline. However, I am particularly experienced in editing in the social sciences, especially cultural diversity, multiculturalism, immigration policy, community development, human rights and social justice, access and equity, intangible cultural heritage, human development, culture and the arts, culture and health, museology, anthropology and ethnology.
Editing qualifications and training
Accredited Editor (since 2011)
Institute of Professional Editors Ltd (IPEd)
Certificate in Professional Editing and Proofreading
Cengage Education, 2008
IPEd conferences attended
- 11th IPEd Conference: Futureproofing the editing profession, 2023
- 10th IPEd Conference: Editing on the edges, 2021
- 5th IPEd Conference: New horizons for editing and publishing, 2011
IPEd workshops attended
- Mentors' and prospective mentors' workshop, 2015
Society of Editors NSW workshops attended
- Editing in the digital era, 2016
- The business of editing, 2014
- Ebooks 101 for editors, 2014
- Editing annual reports: a special approach, 2013
- Structural editing: fiction, 2013
- Editing scientific, technical and medical documents, 2013
- Running a freelance business, 2011
- Preparing for the Accreditation Exam, 2011
- Editing intensive II, 2011
- Editing intensive I, 2011
Canberra Society of Editors workshops attended
- Introduction to editing, 2005
- Copy editing, 2005
- Working well with designers and printers, 2005
- Proofreading, 2005
RMIT, Melbourne, 1980s
- Frederick Blackham Prize for Best Performance, 1987
Foundations of Professional Writing
Chisolm College, Melbourne, 1982
Wendy consistently produces work of high quality. She is accommodating of requests, and delivers outstanding work under tight deadlines.
I'd like to say thank you very much for doing such an excellent job.You were always very gracious and a pleasure to work with on such an intense task.